Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Truth About Training Blood Tracking Dogs...

Training blood tracking dogs that are bred right is not complicated or scientific, and is in fact, simple and easy, but we humans tend to complicate and 'make' it harder than needs to be because we operate under the presumption that if the dog is not 'trained', it will not hunt. OK, maybe!



Now genetically speaking that may be true for dogs that are not bred to hunt and are 'genetically predisposed' to be nothing more than someones lap dog and pet. And with proper blood trail training most dogs will respond to the dietary conditioning(because hungry dogs hunt) and proper training and maybe you will luck out and have a tracking dog in the end.

A dietary condition such as feeding raw meat is often overlooked by most new tracker/trainers.
I operate a blood trail dog training facility, so I believe in training, but I see too many people put too much emphasis on 'performance' of the dog in training, and not give the dog a chance to prove themselves during the hunting season. And that may be due to our expecting too much too soon from a puppy or our failure to make training excersizes fun.




For dogs that are genetically bred to hunt, we are more likely to screw things up trying to train them in the off season, than if we are patient, and simply allow nature to take it's course during the hunting season. Which is to say that the 'real' blood trail dog training occurs during hunting season when we have fresh blood on the ground and the dog has fresh raw meat 'treats' in the skinning shed.



I confess that when I first started training my dogs about 8 years ago, I believed that I had to train them to 'make' them into a tracking dog, or they wouldn't hunt. I had a lot to learn.

And I experimented with a lot of methods and combinations of techniques.


But I realized that my dogs genetically predisposed prey drive was more important than anything I 'put' into them.



In the end, I am beginning to realize that my dogs have taught me more about blood tracking than I ever taught them and I must confess: they are not only smarter than I thought they were, they were smarter than me.


If you are looking for a trained blood tracking dog, I am a breeder and trainer of Louisiana Catahoula Curs and would like to talk to you. My cell phone is 337 298 2630, or 337 704 6330.


My email: catahoula1@gmail.com






No comments: