Sunday, January 27, 2019

BTD Personal Floatation and Visibility Protection



OK, I put this up here for 3 reasons: 



1. to honor the life of a fierce little warrior named Woodrow, who just drowned and passed away doing what he loved, 



2. To educate newbies about how dangerous tracking a wounded, well antlered buck is for the dog AND handler,
 https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/hunter-killed-when-blood-trailing-his-deer






3. To hopefully cause everyone to get involved and educate the representative legislative law makers in the state houses that serious changes are presently needed in regards to handling blood tracking dogs.10 years ago most people did not have tracking dogs. But today,... If we are tracking day or nite, on a management area, or on OR off leash, we should be allowed to carry a large caliber side arm or better yet, a youth size single shot 20 gauge shot gun loaded with buck shot for protection of our dogs, personal self-defense, and to end the deer’s suffering! Tracking highly mobilized, wounded bucks is dangerous stuff! We all have a God given right to protect our life and our property (the dog’s life)! And ending the suffering of a wounded buck is: the right thing to do!




 I urge everyone to seek out and find the orange neoprene vest for their blood tracking dog’s personal floatation protection in water. Mine is made by Remington. These are made for waterfowl/duck retrievers, and gives warmth, floatation and visibility protection! I do not advise the body armor we put on hog dogs because it is too heavy and can actually drown your dog. OK, then add a tracking collar to that and tell me you don't need personal floatation for the dog!   




Neoprene is lightweight, it floats and it traps body heat.




You can also go to an upholstery shop and sew on additional closed cell floatation on the inside the vest. Notice the enlarged rectangle on the topside of the vest. That is 'extra' floatation I added for safety and helps keep the dog upright in water...




It is far better to be prepared and safe than sorry...



In 1986, I built a houseboat and moved into the Atchafalaya Basin Swamp



This is a view of my front yard...




 I live, work, and play on the water.


I am a Louisiana swamp tour guide, and I am not prone to falling into the water.





As you can see below, I almost always drive standing up. It is a Louisiana swamp people thing.



Please don't do as I do, do as I say: Sit down and put on personal floatation!



As you can see, I am not afraid of the water, but I didn't get old for being stupid either!

So, back to blood trail dogs and your personal safety?



OK, at Academy Sports and Outdoors, I found a neoprene stocking foot wader that goes all the way up to my arm pits for me while tracking or boating in freezing weather and I put a large heavy duty 3 strap watersking vest on top of the waders. If I have to hit the water on purpose to swim a river, and follow the dogs while tracking, or if I have to save a dog from drowning, or I accidentially go under because of a slip or boating mishap, I will most likely not drown and definately, I have a fighting chance of surviving hypothermia.




Hypothermia is nothing to play with people!



If you hit the water in 30-40 degree weather, and you can't take off the wet clothes, and warm up right away, you have about a 90% chance of dying from hypothermia!





Sorry I don't have a photo yet of me dressed up this way with the waders or my neoprene wet suit visable, but because I wear it under my camo hunting clothes and orange or I am usually behind the camera or busy with tracking for my customers. it is, what it is.





 But I live, work, and play on the water. So take my word for it, and buy a used wetsuit or go shopping at a sporting goods store and be prepaared for the worst case scenario.


I am Marcus de la Houssaye and I can be reached @ 337 298 2630 or 337 704 6330.





Or by email me @ catahoula1@gmail.com



Marcus de la Houssaye circa 1989 at home in the Atchafalaya Basin, Charenton, Louisiana





I was swamp people before there was a TV show...



If you need consultation for tracking or training your blood trail dog,
 give me a call, I would like to talk to you.

Now here is some wise advise from some friends of mine:
Run your dogs, not your mouth!

I am writing a book and not answering my phone much, so you can email me: catahoula1@gmail.com

No comments: